Metropolis Art Cinema Association
The Metropolis Association was created in 2006 to develop a cinema culture in a country that lacks cultural policy from the public sector: its main goal is to allow cultural diversity, dialogue through cinema, and to promote it by presenting it in its different genres, eras and tendencies. Since 2008, it programs the Metropolis Empire Sofil Theater, at the heart of Ashrafieh – Beirut.
Metropolis presents today the only alternative for auteur films in Lebanon.
It develops its activities in two directions:
1. Its audience:
• Metropolis attracts international independent productions which are not represented in the main commercial market through its retrospectives, festivals and special events such as the cinemixes, in addition to the release of Lebanese, Arab and international features.
• It collaborates with prestigious institutions such as the French cultural channel ARTE and the Cannes Film Festival in order to display the finest of the recent international productions during the ARTE Film Week and the Cannes’ Critics Week. It also welcomes the main cinematographic events in Lebanon including Cinema Days of Beirut and The European Film Festival.
• Metropolis also focuses on the young generation of kids allowing them to discover world cinema through a large scale of activities dedicated for them, including the cine-club The Magic Lantern and Collège au Cinéma.
2. The film industry:
• Metropolis aims to support the emerging generation of young Lebanese and Arab filmmakers by developing their skills through workshops, promotion and release of their film.
• In order to contribute to the diffusion of the Lebanese independent cinema, it created its own distribution company, MC Distribution.
• Through its various festivals and film events which include side-activities such as workshops, master classes and professional encounters, it contributes to create a network of Arab cinemas where author films can circulate freely in the Arab region.
The Board Members are:
Metropolis in numbers, more than:
60,000 spectators per year
20 events per year
200 local and international press articles
25 esteemed guests
27,000 Flyers, Posters, Brochures
4,000 children per year